Day 1 - August 11th, 2012 - Phoenix-Miami-Jamaica

5:55 a.m.

Woke earlier than I wanted, got ready and left.  5 miles down highway realized I forgot to turn off water to house, but then a bit over cautious, so not going to fret.

Arrived at airport parking quickly.  Changed since last airport visit 3 years ago.  Shuttle was mostly airline staff, do not think I have ever been this early before!

Checked in at kiosk.  Had some issue scanning passport until I realized I wasn't on correct page!!  Oh well, never had to do that before.

Security was quick, though guy asked me to sign passport, realized I had never done that after renewal back in 2010.  Shows how often I use it.

At gate, texted Felicia, she is on site, just out smoking.

As I am writing this, the sun has finally risen above horizon.  Nice view.  Too bad I am not a morning person and see this more often.

Now just waiting another 1.5 hours for plane to leave. :)

Felicia arrived and we chatted while waiting for boarding.  Grabbed a Mt. Dew and Snickers for breakfast ($6....talk about criminal).  Finally boarded.  I was in row 28 (changed my seat at check in from row 23 so I could have an aisle seat.)  Felicia was in row 9.

No one in middle seat, so that was nice.  Read a bit in magazine and watched some of the movie The Pirates! Band of Misfits (without sound).

Flight was a bit rough, lots of mild turbulence and a few bad spots.

Had water twice when they came by asking for beverages.

Once landed, took forever to get off plane.  Once out, did not see Felicia, so moved off to side and got out ticket to determine next gate, and then found restroom.  Felicia was waiting outside when I came out of restroom, she had the gate number already.

Walked a bit and eventually was taken up to tram that runs on roof.  Good view of Miami skyline.  (More hi-rises than I thought).  Got off at station and then walked for what seemed forever to find our gate.  Was down some hall in an annex to the main terminal.  Appeared to be an international terminal, lots of foreign destinations, nearly everyone is speaking Spanish and duty free shop nearby.

Our gate was still in use by another flight (we have just over 3 hour wait).  Found open seating area in unused customer desk area.  Felicia went out of airport to smoke, so will be waiting at least an hour for her to return I bet.  Then will get some food.

Did my update on Facebook and sat to write this while I wait.

Miami is humid, but it is raining out.  Temps are in low 80's outside, but chilly in terminal.

Odd little food stand nearby.  Chili's to Go!  Looks like official logo, though name does not appear.  Looks to be lots of cold serve sandwiches and such.  Wonder if it is real or someone ripping off logo?

Flight departs at 6:45 p.m. Miami time and is not quite 2 hours long.  Hopefully will be pleasant.  Next stop - Jamaica!

Felicia returned in about 30 minutes.  We did not want any of the food at the E Terminal and the F, G, H Terminals were not reachable, so backtracked to D Terminal and ate at TGIF.  Had balsamic chicken caesar salad and a coke.

After dinner, walked back to gate, only to find our 6:45 p.m. flight was now 7:30 p.m.

Sat near a charge station and waited it out.  Just people watched and played on phone.  Felicia kept dozing off.

Finally got to board.  Felicia was row 14, I was row 33.  Guy in my row moved to empty row across aisle, so got window seat and entire row to my self.  Take off took forever.  They had to back 757 out of tight alley to main area, then was taxiing for ages.  Finally took off, was okay but a few bumps.  Got to see last bits of land as sun set and clouds obscured view.

Basically just closed eyes and rested.  May have dozed off a bit.  Did catch some distant thunder storms while over Cuba.

Came into land at Montego Bay with good view of coast for awhile.  Landing was bumpy, but short taxi to terminal.

Got off plane and walked forever to get to immigration.  Quick pass there, then we went to get Felicia's checked bag.  Quick work through customs and we were in main terminal.

Found tour company that transfer was booked with.  Got vouchers exchanged and directed to shuttle.  They took bags and loaded them (guy asked for tip, gave him $2).  Sat on shuttle for nearly 40 minutes waiting for more people.  Very annoying.  Note: Take taxi next time.

Driver was a bit of a joker.  Left side door open while leaving lot, driving like crazy.  Was interesting to see right hand driving again though. [2019 NOTE:  I had been in the UK in 2000/2002 where I first experienced driving on the right hand side of road.]

Nice views of main town area on our way to resort.  Resort sits out on a peninsula past the freeport, so passed a lot of manufacturing areas.

The shuttle dropped other hotels people first, then got to our resort.

Bags were taken by porter to a waiting area while everyone checked in.  We were booked into separate buildings, so desk staff was able to get us into same building, but different floors (Me on 3rd, Felicia on 4th)

I got room 306.  Nice room.  Balcony looks like it should give nice view in daylight.  Photographed room, organized a few things, then went to lobby to meet Felicia.


We walked around to a grill open late.  Got a cheeseburger and chips with nacho cheese.  Cheap food, but was hungry.  Was odd getting food and not paying for it.  We have these bright yellow bracelets we need to wear all week.  Going to drive me nuts.

Once done eating, we wandered around to see the property.  Saw both towers, other room areas, water park, beach, pool areas, bars, buffet area, restaurants, game area and finally found ourselves back near lobby where we found the club/casino.

Felicia wanted drinks, so we sat outside and talked while she drank.

Finally went up to room about 1:30 a.m.  Got ready for bed, wrote more here and now it is sleep time.  Been a very long day getting here, but should get better in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment