Day 4 - August 14th, 2012 - Zip Line Adventure

Woke at 7:30 again.  Got ready and found Felicia downstairs in smoking area.  We had breakfast and then sat around to wait for excursion shuttle.  I got us reservations for the Italian place on the property for Thursday night.  She then did the same for the Asian place on Wednesday night.

I bought $20 US worth of Jamaica money, but the hotel exchange rate is big rip off.  Should be $150 Jamaican to $1 US, they gave me $78 to $1.  Still need a $100 unit bill as well.

Shuttle cab arrived 10 minutes early and us and one other group got on.  We drove to resort next door and sat there.  Eventually they moved us into another larger shuttle bus which was nearly full.

We drove south out of Montego Bay and into the mountains to Montpelier.  Passed lots of local settings and road was winding around a lot and narrow.


Turned off onto property of orange orchard and down a dirt road to the excursion place.

Part of group was there to tube down river, others like us were there to run zip lines (some did both).

We got signed in and they got us into harness, helmet, and gloves.  After safety brief, broke into 3 teams and staggered our departures.

Hiked a bit till first zip line.  120 feet across river.  We all did good.  Felicia did really good even though a bit scared.

Next line was across large ravine, at least 700 feet.  Then more hiking.  Another 50 foot run took us to tree stand.  Then 20 foot rappel drop.  Hike up hill to big run.  1,100 feet and 300 feet above river, and fast.  After that, hiked a bit and did 3 more runs, each a few hundred feet.  9 lines total.

Hiked back up to road and was picked up by a 4x4.  Taken back to base and got out of gear.  We then got back on shuttle after short break (Grabbed a Coke at store.)

Only part of day that was bad was I lost my lens cap somehow?

Got back to resort with 30 minutes left for lunch buffet.  Not much there, so had a Coke and cold cut sandwich.  Found Felicia, who wanted to smoke first, still in smoking area.  I went off to photograph and she grabbed lunch.  Found her a bit later, we talked a bit, then I left to see about a cheeseburger at grill, she was going back to room.

Had 2 cheeseburgers, fries and Coke.  Then spent some time walking property taking photos.




Found Felicia at smoking area later, she never made it to room.  I told her I was going to wait till sunset to go up and went back to photographing.  Eventually decided to come to room and drop off stuff and clean face.

Still an hour till sunset, so wanted to get this entry done now.  Going to go back down and get more photos now (had to change battery for first time).


Spent about 2 hours taking photos of sunset, shore, ships and planes.  Also watched a little crab in shell explore area around my feet.  Photographed it too.




Finally after last color was gone, I went back up to check on dinner.  Walked into main stage area and just happened to see Felicia at a table with some people she met.

Sat with them for a bit, and dinner was being served there tonight for a band of steel drum players.  Listened to them, took some photos and even tried video from the phone.


I tried to eat, but nothing looked good.  Took some fish, but tasted like crap.  Did find the pepper soup, so had a bowl.  Wasn't really hungry anyway.

While eating, saw, photographed and even petted one of the stray cats on the property (I would guess a dozen or two on the property).


I was really hot, still dirty from hiking, tired and just in a bad mood, so decided to come up to room and shower and update this log.  Will go back down in a few, but thinking I will take my book and read.

Went down and got a coke and found spot to read.  Moved to a better light spot after 1 chapter.  Finished another, but was getting hard to focus.

Walked down to empty beach and watched waves and looked at stars.  Then came back up to room and went to sleep....exhausted.

*NOTE:  Found my lens cap in swimsuit while moving it.*

No comments:

Post a Comment