After breakfast went to smoking area near disco while she puffed. Then went back to rooms to get stuff. Grabbed towels at the shack then went to front lobby. Van showed up about on time. It was empty, so we are first to be picked up.
Drove to resort next door and got another couple. Then drove into Montego Bay while driver droned on about everything under the sun. He would continue to talk for almost the entire trip. Picked up a group of girls at one hotel, back tracked to another for another set of girls.
Finally left town past airport. About 20 minutes out with driver going way to slow while ready paper and talking on phone, we stopped at another resort and picked up a family of six. Again slow driving for a bit, then finally got going. Much later stopped at another resort for more people. Bus is full now.
Stopped for a pit stop at a bar/gift shop for about 5-10 minutes. Then back on the road. It is after 11:00 a.m. now, been in bus 2 hours!
Talked a bit on bus with father of family and last couple picked up. Couple was from east Canada (though his wife was originally from Poland).
We finally arrived at Ocho Rios and pulled into boat dock area. We walked down from lot to a ramada, got a briefing, then ate lunch. Lunch was coleslaw, rice and chicken. None of it tasted that great and chicken was more bone and fat than meat. Had Pepsi to drink.
It started to rain lightly while eating outside. Talked a bit with family from bus. Eventually everyone was heading to beach.
Felicia and I saw Canadian couple (John & Katka) and they filled us in about waiting there to get herded for boat. After we were 15 minutes past time to load, we headed to beach and ran into guide. He said boat was running late from morning cruise.
We all ended up on the beach eventually and talked while watching people dance to the DJ. I took some photos of beach and sea.
Boat finally came into view and we all lined up on pier. Finally got boarded. We decided to sit in back of boat right next to aft railing.
I stood up to get photos and moved around the boat. 5 minutes later we were at the anchorage for the snorkeling. I chose not to to that and just photographed others and the boat and scenery. Felicia went snorkeling and so did John and Katka.
While there I went below deck to use restroom and walked in on a girl. Do people not know what locks are?
After that we headed for the falls which took us past the reef into open water. Near water lane we passed a Carnival cruse ship in port. HUGE.
Once in open water I went to the bow to watch. We were heading with the wind, so waves were not too bad.
Arrived at the dock for Dunn's River Falls. Disembarked and broke up into groups to climb the falls. 900 some feet of waterfall with about 200 feet elevation gain. I was in very back of group so I could better stop and photograph and also did not have to keep contact with anyone to assist and put camera at risk. Got it wet enough, and was so wet myself with water or sweat that shirt did not dry the lens UV filter anymore. So many of the falls photos may be blurry.
I skipped the slide down rock into pool and the back fall into another due to camera (and do not like getting head wet).
We finally reached the top. Felicia had me take photo at completion sign and I had her photograph me.
We then headed down the paved trail to beach. Once at beach got back onto boat and did more photos while waiting to leave.
I tried to take more people shots this trip, to gain more human perspective. Mostly group shots and people dancing.
We then got under way. They announced to have people move valuables and gear back from the bow as we were now going against waves and would get water on deck (Catamaran has two bow points, so get more wave). I went to bow to get some wave shots.
Got a good spot right near center point of bow. We headed out to open water and waves hit us. We were getting swells a good 6-8 feet from peak to trough. Bow points went airborne a few times and then dropped hard down. [2019 NOTE: In hindsight, waves were more like 3-5 feet is all, pictures below show the 4 foot tall hull in those waves in a few seconds time frame.]
We then got under way. They announced to have people move valuables and gear back from the bow as we were now going against waves and would get water on deck (Catamaran has two bow points, so get more wave). I went to bow to get some wave shots.
Got a good spot right near center point of bow. We headed out to open water and waves hit us. We were getting swells a good 6-8 feet from peak to trough. Bow points went airborne a few times and then dropped hard down. [2019 NOTE: In hindsight, waves were more like 3-5 feet is all, pictures below show the 4 foot tall hull in those waves in a few seconds time frame.]
Was going pretty good with photos and watching people dance to DJ (trip back was a party with all drinks free, they also headed about 2 miles from shore at least).
I took a large wave hit and got camera lens wet. So made way to stern to dry it. Walking the deck was interesting in the waves. Got back and dried lens. But exhaust smell from engine and motion was getting to me, so quickly returned to bow. Did okay for a few more minutes, but then my balance started to get weak, so leaned on rail to photo dancers, but had issues keeping still for shot. Soon my stomach got queasy and I soon realized I should head to back of boat.
About half way back a dry heave came with a massive belch. I could taste the Jamaican Beef Patty I had eaten on boat while at snorkel spot. (Beef and spice in mashed form in bread pocket. Wasn't too bad....going down.)
I reached the stern and sat down. Stomach at this point was not doing well. A couple of false heaves and I knew I was lost. Shot to rail and leaned over and lost it. (Bad luck had all the life vests and belts used to snorkel tied off at rail to dry, while I did best to project out, they got hit....)
About 3 good up heaves and a bit of spitting, was then able to sit. I was not doing well at this point. Grabbed towel and buried face in it to get eyes to focus on nothing.
One of the crew was alerted. She brought glass of ice and told me to eat it and gave me a bag in case I was not done (did not use).
She came back later with more ice and I was still sitting and feeling bad. I had closed eyes to calm body and shut down senses. She wiped a wet towel on my head and neck (had me take off hat so I would cool down).
I was starting to get better, but then boat changed heading and I got exhaust again. Made my nausea worse. Told her that. She later came back with ice filled glove and rubbed head, face and neck. I was kinda out of it now, only cold made me realize she was back. She then brought smelling salts over....not sure why, as it just made my sinus burn and did not help.
Spent rest of voyage sitting with face in hat and later towel so I could breathe without exhaust fumes, I was not stable enough to move.
Finally docked and got off soon as I could. Walked to bus and got aboard. Was still pretty bad, and when bus took off, it got worse every time we hit a bump (side to side did not bother, only up and down).
Once back on main road, was better. Finally felt good enough to join conversation with John, Katka, Felicia and another girl who rode different bus there, but went back with us to John and Katka's hotel.
After dropping them, we headed back toward Montego Bay. Sunset was incredible, but van movement made photography impossible (may have one good shot). [2019 NOTE: Nope, nothing turned out good]
Finally started to drop off others and made it back to our resort. Tipped driver $2 and went inside. Felicia went to smoke, but I went to room to use bathroom and get out of still wet trunks and shirt.
Dried off, laid out clothes and all my money (it was soaked, though I knew that would probably happen). Looked at many of my photos to see how falls turned out and then dressed and went down to lobby to wait for Felicia.
Wrote some of this while waiting and after 15 minutes decided to check smoking area. Found her there. We sat and talked about 30 minutes, and then went for dinner at buffet.
Mostly same dishes, so did the custom pasta bar. Now that was good food, chef prepared right there and still hot. Grabbed a Coke to drink and enjoyed. Went back to get a cold cut sandwich and some extra cheese and crackers.
Once done with dinner, went back to smoking area for a bit. Felicia then went to her room to drop off iPad and was headed to disco bar.
I found lobby bar for a Coke, then found a spot near registration desk with good light to write all this. Think I will grab another Coke and wander a bit.
Found Felicia in smoking area talking with a guy bumming a cigarette from her. Sat for awhile, then went inside disco bar. Disco was about to get going. Sat at bar and watched TV and people while she talked. She later went back out to smoke and I came back to room. Clothes about dry, but money still damp. Might have to leave it outside safe?
Set alarm, washed face, camera and glasses to get any salt residue off. Will organize for tomorrow and then go to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment